(1) Give in its full sense the meaning of the term cookery.
(2) How may the housewife control the cost of her foods?
(3) (a) Explain the difference between waste and refuse. (b) To what is leakage in the household due?
(4) What three important matters enter into the problem of purchasing food?
(5) (a) Name the five substances that are found in food, (b) Of what value is a knowledge of these food substances?
(6) (a) What is the function of protein in the body? (b) Mention the principal sources of protein, (c) Explain the effect of heat on foods that contain protein.
(7) (a) With what do carbohydrates supply the body? (b) Mention the two forms of carbohydrates and also some of the foods in which each may be found.
(8) What is a calorie?
(9) Give five reasons for cooking food.
(10) Mention the twelve principal processes employed in the cooking of food.
(11) Describe one method of cooking with: (a) dry heat; (b) moist heat; (c) hot fat.
(12) (a) At what temperature does water boil? (b) How is hard water affected by boiling? (c) Explain the uses of water in cooking.
(13) (a) What generally controls the kind of stove to be used for cooking? (b) Explain how it is possible to keep down the cost of cooking in using fuel.
(14) Mention the best way in which to become familiar with the operation of a stove.
(15) (a) Of what value is gas as a fuel? (b) What kind of gas flame is best for cooking?
(16) Suppose that a gas meter registers 72,500 cubic feet on March 1, and that on April 1 the hand of the left dial is between 7 and 8, that of the middle dial is between 5 and 6, and that of the right dial is at 5. At 90 cents a 1,000 cubic feet, what is the cost of the gas consumed?
(17) (a) How is heat produced in a stove? (b) What is the purpose of the dampers of a stove?
(18) (a) How should the dampers of a coal range be adjusted so as to heat the oven for baking? (b) How should they be adjusted for cooking on top of the stove?
(19) (a) What is the purpose of a mixer on a gas stove? (b) How may a gas stove be kept in good condition?
(20) How may the burners of a kerosene stove be kept clean?